Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Competition law has a major impact on businesses across Europe. For that reason, it is one of Sullivan & Cromwell's core practice areas, and the Firm regularly advises clients on all aspects of competition law and related areas of regulation.
S&C's European competition law team focuses on:
- merger control clearances under the EU Merger Regulation and under national merger control law in France, Germany and the UK;
- defending companies under investigation by the European Commission and national authorities including the UK's Competition and Markets Authority for alleged infringement of articles 101 and 102 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union or equivalent laws;
- managing and coordinating merger clearances globally;
- advising on competition law aspects of commercial agreements, such as distribution agreements, technology transfer, research and development, and specialization agreements, and on competition law aspects of unilateral conduct;
- designing and implementing compliance training and advising on responding to “dawn raid” investigations by competition authorities in Europe;
- state aid across Europe;
- sector regulation based on EU directives, particularly in the energy sector; and
- foreign investment and public security regulatory aspects of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures.