This site is part of the Informa Connect Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.

Latest news, analysis and insight in fastest growing sector in agriculture.

Biobest set to acquire Brazilian company Biotrop

Share this article

Biobest Group is set to acquire Brazilian biologicals company Biotrop Participações s.a for USD$570 million.

Biotrop is controlled by Aqua Capital, a São Paulo-based private equity firm with an agribusiness focus. Singapore investment fund GIC took a minority stake in Biotrop in July 2021. Biotrop is expected to realize BRL 679m (EUR 128m / USD 136m) turnover in 2023, according to the 7 September statement.

Biobest will acquire 85 percent of the shares based on an enterprise value of BRL 2.8bn (EUR 532m / USD 570m) on a fully diluted basis. The remaining 15 percent will be acquired by Biobest after a transition period of three years, the statement said.

“To finance this transaction, Biobest will proceed to a capital increase which will be subscribed by some of its existing shareholders (Sofina, some Belgian families, and management) and by new shareholders (Tikehau Capital, M&G Investments, Unigrains, Sofiprotéol and several families close to its majority shareholder, Floridienne),” the statement continued.

Antonio Zem, CEO of Biotrop commented on the deal: “With the support of Aqua Capital and GIC, we were able to roll-out a winning biologicals strategy in Brazil and prepare for market entry in other markets. Our company is growing at an exceptional pace. To fully capitalize on global growth opportunities, this was a great time to become part of a global organisation.”

Biobest CEO Jean-Marc Vandoorne commented: “This is a landmark transaction for Biobest, building further on a successful M&A strategy in addition to healthy organic growth. The Brazilian market for biocontrol and other biologicals is currently estimated at more than USD 1bn. With an annual growth rate of 43%, powered by a supportive regulatory environment tailored to the needs of biological products – Brazil outpaces growth in any other major market.”

In 2021, BioTrop launched a bio-product for pastures. New AG International spoke to CEO Antonio Zem to learn more. Read here.

Share this article