Facts on Munich
Innovative biopharma sector
- In Greater Munich, 41,000 employees are working in 450+ companies in the biopharma sector.
- Munich has a strong drug pipeline with about 80 clinical projects; oncology is the most important indication.
- Munich ranks first in Germany with a total of over 3,500 patents.
Top spot for startups
- Munich leads Germany in start-ups*.
- Nearly 80 biotech startups have been founded since 2015.
- More than EUR 350 million were invested
in biotechs in 2022.
*startupdetector report 2022
- Munich's two largest universities, the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU) and the Technical University of Munich (TUM), are two of Germany's universities of excellence and rank among the 100 best universities in the world.
- Munich is home to numerous renowned non-university research institutes that significantly contribute to the region's scientific excellence.
- Munich holds ~ 30 Nobel Prizes in the field of life sciences.
Cosmopolitan city with heart
- The Bavarian capital is cosmopolitan, has a great quality of life and a vibrant city life.
- The cityscape of Munich is characterized by historic buildings, there are hip trendy neighborhoods, countless sights and museums, the legendary English Garden, the Allianz Arena, the Viktualienmarkt, cozy beer gardens and of course the world-famous Oktoberfest.
- Unique is the proximity of the metropolis to the Alps with numerous sights and breathtaking nature, which invites to numerous leisure activities.
The Central Spot of Bavarian Excellence in Biotech
- Munich provides an excellent infrastructure in the center of Europe – all within 3 hours reach.
- Munich creates an environment in which the brightest minds can flourish. Brilliant scientists from around the world meet talented leaders with big visions.
- Munich fosters optimal conditions to generate disruptive innovations in biotech, life sciences and medicine.
Partnering with Lions and Panthers at BIO-Europe
Grüß Gott World! BIO-Europe in Munich, Germany, is coming up from November 6 – 8, 2023. Now is the time to get your partneringONE® activities ready for Europe’s biggest, and best, gathering of biopharma professionals. Let us help you prepare for productive partnering meetings alongside 2,500+ companies from 65+ countries.