Monday 31 July - Friday 4 August 2023
Competition Law Summer School
Your A-Z of EU and UK competition law & economics, led by top legal experts. Address everyday challenges in your role by gaining a firm understanding of the core principles and their practical application
Join us in historic Downing College, Cambridge for this all-inclusive residential event - learn in several different formats during the day… and then reinforce that learning & make lasting connections during the informal evening activities
The perfect way to come to grips with Competition Law in just 5 days!
Covering all areas of EU and UK competition law as well as introducing key principles of competition economics, this residential, all-inclusive event provides a firm understanding of competition law to help professionals shape their practical strategies.
Now in its 25th year, each day builds on a key theme in competition law, through a combination of intensive lectures, practical discussions, in-depth Q&As and real-life case studies - ensuring that delegates are proficient in both the fundamentals, as well as currently developing hot topics.
Instructed by top competition law and economics minds, each day will provide ample opportunities to network with your peers and experts - establishing a pool of invaluable contacts for future business opportunities.
Plus! Get 29 CPD hours and a certificate on completion.
Competition law experts sharing their knowledge & experience in 2023 include:
Each Day is Structured to Focus on a Theme, Providing a Solid Foundation in Competition Law:
Day 1: Article 101
During Day 1 our expert speakers will provide you with a firm foundation for understanding EU competition law focusing specifically on Article 101, as well as the role of economic analysis. You will have an opportunity to listen to a panel of in-house speakers on how they approach Article 101 in practice and gain insights on how UK competition law is diverging from EU law.
Day 2: Article 102 & Digital Markets
Day 2 will focus on Article 102 and explore the difference between abuse and legitimate competition, introduce theories of harm and discuss practical issues in pricing. This will be followed by a session on how the European Commission is approaching its enforcement priorities and an exploration of the issues surrounding digital markets.
Day 3: IP & Competition Law, and Verticals
Join our speakers to examine the interface between IP and competition law, vertical agreements in the EU and UK, and finally the Technology Transfer Block Exemption. The day includes an interactive practical session analysing the application of the principles discussed throughout the day as well as plenty of opportunities for Q&A.
Day 4: Merger Control & Foreign Direct Investment
Delve into the law and practice of EU and UK merger control including remedies and appeals. Our expert speakers will offer you a practical guide to merger proceedings based on their experience - including tips on how to structure a deal, pre-notification submissions, interim measures and how to handle multi-jurisdictional mergers. Analyse the latest FDI regimes across Europe and their implications for mergers.
Day 5: Litigation, Compliance & State Aid
Gain an introduction to private enforcement, including best strategies for litigation and how to approach calculation of damages. Hear in-house counsel from a cross-section of industries, discuss current competition law risks and compliance challenges for corporates. Finish the day by understanding where state aid and the new foreign subsidy regulation fit into the competition law landscape.
Take Home Advice
- Take home practical advice and comprehensive event documentation for future reference
- Gain 29 CPD hours and a certificate of attendance on completion
Why attend the Competition Law Summer School 2023:
Your Firm Foundation in Competition Law
- Gain a solid understanding of crucial competition law and economics from a broad range of perspectives in a relaxed and informal atmosphere
- Review high profile cases and their practical implications
- Enhance your knowledge by embracing in-depth analysis and expert commentary on key EU and UK competition law issues
- Develop cutting-edge strategies to combat common problem areas to avoid hefty fines
- Plus! Get 29 CPD hours and a certificate on completion
Meet Your Future Colleagues
- Junior lawyers seeking to gain a specialism in competition law
- In-house counsel requiring an impeccable grounding in the core areas of competition law
- Experienced lawyers who need to know more about competition law
- Economists looking to expand their understanding of competition law
- Regulators & national competition authorities
- Professionals in need of an A-Z guide to EU competition law
Grow your Professional Network
- Make lasting professional connections with our speakers and fellow attendees
- Build upon your new relationships during informal and dedicated networking events throughout the day and during the evenings!
- Residential & all-inclusive - immerse yourself in the experience and build upon your learning by exchanging with your peers and speakers throughout the week
Immerse Yourself in Historical Cambridge
Enjoy the historical surrounds of Cambridge during the informal evening activities:
- Get to know fellow attendees during the competitive and fun quiz night
- Enjoy the peaceful surrounds whilst punting on the river Cam, followed by quintessentially British Pimms & BBQ
- Learn about the history of Cambridge during the walking tour
- Round off the week with a formal drinks reception & candlelit gala dinner
EU Competition Law Summer School in numbers
Top legal minds sharing their insights and expertise
Presentations on the most important areas of competition law
Years advancing international competition lawyers through an in-depth and immersive 5-day course
Monday 31 July - Friday 4 August 2023
UNIQUE MULTI-FORMAT LEARNING AND NETWORKING EXPERIENCE
During the day, delegates will have an opportunity to learn in a variety of interactive formats – ensuring that each topic is fully understood and covered from multiple angles, with plenty of time for Q&As
Shearman & Sterling
Immersive competition experience, seasoned speakers and superb balance between economics and law, plus enthusiastic attendees from all over the world.