Leslie Schulze, CPA, CGMAPresident and CEO, Cornerstone Business Solutions, Inc. at CFO, Therini Bio, CFO & Co-Founder, Origami Therapeutics
Leslie J. Schulze, CPA, CGMA has over 20 years of accounting and finance experience, including over 15 years as a senior biotech executive in start-up pharmaceutical R&D companies. Ms. Schulze has played a key role in venture capital (VC) financings, non-dilutive funding (including a government contract for up to $90M and multiple grants), corporate collaborations, mergers and acquisitions, asset acquisitions/sales, and the development of corporate infrastructure.
Ms. Schulze formed Cornerstone Business Solutions, Inc. in 2014 to provide fractional CFO-level finance, accounting, and operations consulting services to start-up biotech companies, primarily located in San Diego. During this period, Ms. Schulze has had numerous successes for which she was hired for, including:
- Current CFO, Therini Bio - Responsible for the setup all operations and hired over 10 full-time employees, successfully upsized the Series Seed preferred financing by 50% and negotiated and closed a Seed-1 preferred stock extension with 3 new high-profile investors;
- Current Co-Founder and CFO, Origami Therapeutics - Setup infrastructure from scratch, assisted in building team, and currently working on Series Seed preferred financing;
- Former CFO, Patara Pharma - Assisted executives in closing a $2M bridge financing with existing investors and successful exit pre-Phase 2 via asset sale to Roivant Sciences for up to $343M plus royalties;
- Former Interim CFO, Respivant Sciences – Setup operations and all infrastructure to initiate a Phase 2 clinical trial including four legal entities (3 foreign and 1 US) and successfully recruited and trained the accounting and finance personal post Patara-acquisition; and
- Former CFO, Tripex Pharma - Re-acquired a drug (Quinsair) from Allergan that subsequently was approved for commercial sale in Europe and Canada and successfully sold via asset sale to Raptor Pharmaceuticals (now Horizon Pharma) for up to $418M plus royalties.
Prior to Cornerstone, Ms. Schulze was Co-Founder and Vice President Finance and Administration at Rempex Pharmaceuticals, which was in Phase 1 and had a discovery pipeline when acquired by The Medicines Company in 2014 for $474M. Prior to helping found Rempex in 2011, Ms. Schulze served as Controller and Director of Finance at Mpex Pharmaceuticals, which was in Phase 3 when acquired by Axcan Holdings (now Allergan) in 2011 for $230M plus royalties. Prior to Mpex, Ms. Schulze was an Audit Manager at CBIZ Mayer Hoffman McCann, where she specialized in auditing small to mid-sized companies. Ms. Schulze received her Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy from the University of San Diego and is a Certified Public Accountant and Chartered Global Management Accountant.