Richard GroomeExecutive Chairman & CEO at ALT 5 Sigma
Richard Groome is executive chairman at Alt 5 Sigma and leads the firm’s global business and support to clients worldwide including financial institutions, institutional investors, and corporate clients.
After 36 successful years in the securities industry, starting two leading securities firms from scratch, completing over 600 financings raising over $4 billion and sitting on 30+ boards, today Mr. Groome is applying his expertise to grow companies seeking to make a difference in the world. He believes this is achieved through innovation, perseverance and good governance scaled to a global level.
Mr. Groome is relentless in his efforts to recognize “out of the box” opportunities – be it in fintech and lowering fees to zero for migrant workers to send money back home to their families, to a new non-polluting energy efficient way to treat and process garbage that can eliminate the need for landfills. He offers an unwavering passion, energy and discipline to bring an idea to life.
He is a market disrupter across a variety of industries including technology, agriculture, food and beverage, medical and biotech, new mineral discoveries and electric vehicle metals.
His past experience includes:
- Started two securities trading and underwriting houses from scratch each achieving best in class status within 3 years, one traded publicly on the TSX.
- Managed and participated in over 600 financings representing some $4 billion of small cap deals. Several of Mr. Groome’s companies have succeeded in becoming billion and some multi-billion-dollar companies.
- Past Director of the CDNX, predecessor of the TSX-Venture Exchange.
- Mr. Groome is known as one of the preeminent financiers in Canada for small and medium sized emerging growth companies over the last 36 years. His previous firms were sold and taken over by Desjardins and Dundee respectively.
- Served on over 30 board of directors of junior and mid-sized emerging growth companies; very well versed in corporate governance and early start-up situations.
Mr. Groome was born and raised in Montreal. He graduated from McGill University in 1981 with a Bachelor’s in Economics. He keeps very busy with numerous activities including watersports and barefoot skiing. He enjoys reading about innovations, world leaders and economics. He supports charitable causes for underprivileged children, wildlife and natural habitats. He and his wife enjoy traveling and learning about local cultures and traditions. Mr. Groome has been married for 30 years and has two adult children.