Thriyambak KannanFounding Partner at Assentio Legal
Key Practice Areas & Expertise
Corporate, commercial and civil litigation, with experience in having appeared before the Supreme Court of India; the Madras High Court and various High Courts across the country; the city civil courts at Chennai and District and lower courts across the country; the National Company Law Tribunal, the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal and the erstwhile Company Law Board; the Debts Recovery Tribunal and the Debts Recovery Appellate Tribunal and arbitral tribunals. Regularly provide opinions, general advisory services and litigation assistance to individuals, association of persons and corporate entities on issues arising under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code. Have acted as a sole arbitrator in court appointed mandates.
• Represented the Resolution Professional of a company in insolvency resolution process wherein issues regarding preferential and fraudulent transactions were effected, which were also in contravention of orders passed by the High Court;
• Representing a branch of a large business family seeking to reject a forensic audit report of a top accounting company as being against their terms of reference and also biased in favour of a section of the family;
• Representing a branch of a large business family in a complex dispute regarding the inheritance of the shareholding in the family company and shares being held in public charitable trusts;
• Appeared for a large Indian conglomerate and its affiliates in a public interest litigation alleging violations of foreign direct investment in multi brand retail in India;
• Briefed the former Attorney General for the United Kingdom in an ICC Arbitration for a large construction company in a dispute with its Spanish joint venture partner;
• Regularly advised and represented the Indian joint venture partners of an Indo – German joint venture Company in which disputes had arisen between the partners. The disputes were actions pending before the Company Law Board at New Delhi, arbitration matters, anti – suit and anti – arbitration proceedings and intellectual property right infringement actions;
• Represented a top accounting and consulting firm’s management in a complaint of sexual harassment brought by one of its directors.
• Appeared on behalf of a fund, against the promoters of an airline company seeking conversion of preference shares into equity shares issued to the fund by the airline company;
• Settled a proceeding in favour of the owners of a property initiated against them by Indian Bank, Chennai which involved allegations of fraud and illegal sub – mortgaging by the bank;
• Appeared for South Korea’s largest consumer goods manufacturer in an action against its Indian sole – selling agent, wherein the agent was alleged of fraudulently entering into various licensing agreements and illegally importing goods for sale in India.
• Recognized as a “Top Disputes Lawyer” by Asian Legal Business for the year 2020.
• Firm was awarded by the India Business Law Journal at the Indian Law Firm Awards 2020 for Private Client Practice.