George MetteyChartered Trade Mark Attorney at Simmons & Simmons
George is a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney in the Brands division of the London Intellectual Property Group. He specialises in trade mark clearance, prosecution, enforcement and portfolio management
George’s experience spans a wide variety of sectors and industries. Notably, fashion, retail, consumer goods, technology and financial services.
George graduated from Cardiff University with a Bachelor of Laws in 2014.
He joined Simmons & Simmons in April 2019, having worked for a regional law firm for the previous four years. His recent work includes:
- Clearing brand names for some of the world’s largest financial institutions and asset managers, pan-European travel providers, one of the world’s largest cannabis companies and a fragrance house turning over in excess of £1.5b.
- Succeeding in oppositions before the UK and EU Intellectual Property Offices, including on behalf of the rights holders behind The Hobbit trilogy.
- Prosecuting trade mark applications and managing portfolios globally on behalf of LVMH, Royal Warrant holding Penhaligon’s, the Estate of Roald Dahl, as well as the parent of Liverpool FC and Boston Red Sox.
- Conducting trade mark audits in respect of a global toy manufacturer’s portfolio, as well as that of a £900m high street retail outfit.
- Successfully assisting with the retrieval of a trade mark portfolio following the owning company’s dissolution, which had led to the IPR assets being lost to the Crown.
- Aiding transactional teams with IPR due diligence during mergers, acquisitions and investments.
- Advising on seeking protection (and enforcing) under the UK and Community design systems.
- Drafting letters before action, cease and desists, undertakings, licences and assignments.