Economic outlook for the greater Montréal region: navigating a recession, inflation and everything in-between
An update on key economic indicators from two of Canada’s most respected economists. What kind of an economy is Canada going to recover in to? How can you navigate the zigzag economy in 2023? How temporary is the softness or is there any permanent damage on the horizon? Where are employment, inflation, interest rates and immigration heading in 2023?
- Mario Lefebvre - Regional Director (Economics), Bank of Canada
- Matthieu Arseneau - Deputy Chief Economist, National Bank of Canada
- Jimmy Jean - Vice President & Chief Economist, Desjardins
Session A1: The changing face of the retail market: new formats, new tenants, and asset repositioning
This session will examine the key leasing, investment and development trends and issues as well as provide an outlook for retail activity in this market. They will also be highlighting the Mont Tremblant Village repositioning & the Royalmount project. Are retail owners in Montréal considering new projects or upgrading their existing properties? Which new retailers are entering this market now or potentially in the future? What retail categories and tenants are performing well? Who is facing greater challenges? What impact is online shopping having on conventional stores and omnichannel retail? How will the retail market in Montréal likely perform overall in 2023 and beyond?
- Stéphanie Léonard - Leasing Director - Quebec, BTB Real Estate Investment Trust
- Jean-François Grenier - Senior Manager, Altus Group
- Manon Larose - Managing Director Client Services, Oberfeld Snowcap
- Sandra Mellul - Director Leasing, Carbonleo
Session B1: Office: From vacancy to vibrancy
A comprehensive examination of the Montréal office market with its inventory. The discussion will focus on a wide range of fundamentals and trends including: the still tight but rising vacancy rates, the evolving needs of major users of office space in this market, how Class B and C properties are performing compared to Class A; how much new development is underway or proposed for Montréal; what is the outlook for investment activity for 2023? The future of Work, how will hybrid work life look like? There is flight to quality and then there is flight to vibrancy.
- Marie-France Benoit - Director, Insight & Innovation, Canada, Avison Young
- Sébastien Hylands - Vice President Development, Kevric
- David Salomon-Lima - Vice President Business Development, Broccolini
- Martine Sirois - Senior Director, Altus Group
- Christopher Thorne - Vice-President, Leasing, Allied Properties REIT
Session B4: Return to work, it’s a do or die situation
The psychology of WFH and it’s effect on our social skills. What are some of the ideas being put forward to bring workers back downtown?
- Alexandre Cowper - Associate Partner, Tenant Representation Group, Cushman & Wakefield
- Jacques Forest - Professor, ESG - UQAM
- Sandra Lécuyer - Chief Culture and Brand Officer, Cominar
- Sylvie St-Onge - Professor & Research - CIRANO, HEC Montréal
Session C1: The strong demand in the industrial market: prices go up, up and away
While it is not a significant sized asset class, the industrial market in Montréal and is on fire. Half of the space is owner-occupied while the other half has record low vacancy rates and increasing rental rates. What is the profile of the various users of industrial space? What are the major trends responsible for these market conditions? How are the High-Tech Parks performing? How much multi-tenant development activity is in this market due to land and construction costs? What are the opportunities and likelihood for ongoing growth? To what extent is the war having an impact on the logistics sector? How will the logistic corridors change? Why is this a property class that you should keep an eye on as an investor and a developer? What about Drone delivery, it’s coming, we all know it but how do we prepare for it?
- William Jegher - Partner, EY
- Steven Bouffard - Vice President Asset Management, Pure Industrial
- Vincent Iadeluca - Senior Vice President, Real Estate Broker, Colliers
- Noémie Lefebvre - Director, Altus Group
- Sam Tsoumas - Co-Founder, ROSEFELLOW.
Session C2: Place is powerful – The new era of hybrid work
The world of work has shifted from an attendance era to an attention era. As a result, the workplace needs to evolve to become a place that captures people’s attention, a place that allows for more choice and control across the organization and a place where new hybrid work habits are embraced.
- Giska Laflamme - Manager Business Client, Steelcase - Trium
- Julia Easto - Partner, Director Interior Design, Lemay
- Kim Gravelle - Executive Director - Solutions Development, JLL
- Andrika Melnyk - Real Estate Alliances, Real Estate Alliances
- Amine Ouadahi - Head of Global Development, LNDMRK