Henry Hongmin Kim gave a thought provoking presentation on understanding, working within, and designing the design ecosystem of an organization.
Some key takeaways:
- Design is a problem solving methodology driven by analytical and structural thinking
- Design is thinking made visual - Saul Bass
- Design is not the outcome but the process
- Be goal oriented and process driven
- Create crossfunctional and omnidisciplinary ecosystems
- Mix colors of playdough and they become a mess, but put Legos together they keep identity and build upon each other.
- Let go of ego
- Designing for the audience of each step of the process. Communicating to each step and each stakeholder is key.
- Move from craftsman to partner
- Algorithms are organisms, they grow and morph depending upon needs
- Design is fight. Fight against ugliness -Massimo Vignelli
Michael Plishka is the President of ZenStorming ™ and Innovation and Design Consultancy. Drop him a line at Michael@zenstorming.com