At Clinical Trials Europe 2020, Anthony Costello, Senior Vice President at Medidata, presented a session looking at the effects of an unpredictable pandemic on clinical trials and the need for virtualization. Watch the full presentation above.
During the global COVID-19 outbreak, clinical trials had an 80% reduction in enrollment rates; in part due to the closure of facilities and in another part due to patients’ limitations in leaving their homes. Changing the paradigm of study conduct to enable virtualization of clinical trials has become the industry’s new focus. The session discusses:
- Results of a global survey of investigator sites about the impact of COVID-19 on their clinical trials
- Review metrics on patient enrollment and access to clinical trials during the pandemic
- Considerations in trial design to enable remote data capture
- Solutions for continued monitoring of trial patients affected by COVID-19
- Mitigating COVID-19 risks with virtualization methods