Understand policies, standards and the key stakeholders governing marine and air pollution from shipping
Gain essential know-how and the tools to prevent and reduce all kinds of pollution from shipping, including pollution in the offshore oil and gas sector. Explore emission trading schemes, and current regulatory and industry best practice trends.
Certificate in Combatting Marine and Air Pollution from Shipping
- Module 1 – Pollution in Context: Causes and Effects, Governance, Regulations and Enforcement
- Module 2 – Marine Pollution from Noxious Liquid Substances in Bulk, Harmful Substances in Packaged Form, Sewage, Garbage, Ballast Water and Other Sources
- Module 3 – Oil Pollution, Including from Offshore Oil & Gas Activities
- Module 4 – IMO 2020 Sulphur Cap Regulation and Enforcement
- Module 5 – IMO 2020 Sulphur Cap Monitoring, Ongoing Improvement, and Industry Best Practice
- Module 6 – Emission Trading Schemes, Greenhouse Gases and Shipping
What you'll learn
- Different marine pollution types and sources including chronic and accidental pollution
- Current regulatory and industry best practice trends
- Challenges and frameworks governing environmental threats from a variety of sources coming from ship operations – ballast water, fouling, chemical pollution, sewage and garbage, ship recycling etc.
- Key aspects of marine pollution caused by oil in the offshore oil and gas sector
- Technical lessons learned from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- Air pollution from shipping from the standpoint of low sulphur requirements adopted by the IMO
- IMO 2020 compliant fuels, emission monitoring, crew awareness and training, contractual impacts, industry best practice and guidelines
- Key concepts and overview of cap-and-trade schemes on the international and regional level
How you'll learn
Every course is broken down into manageable modules, designed to accelerate your learning process through diverse learning activities:
- Work through your instructional material online
- Interact with your peers and learning facilitators through the online forum to discuss subject related issues and to network with your fellow learners
- Investigate relevant, real-world case studies
- Apply what you learn each week to ongoing project submissions
Claim your digital badge
You can now have a digital version of your Lloyd’s Maritime Academy Certification!
Powered by Credly, your Lloyd’s Maritime Academy Digital Badge is an online version of your credentials that contains a description of your award, demonstrated skills and what it took to obtain your Certificate qualification.
Also, your Digital Badge allows you to get labor market insights data including job openings, salary ranges and selected top employers, and you can display the badge in your email signature, electronic copies of your resume and on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter!
Why study this course
Dr. Iliana Christodoulou-Varotsi, course director of the online Certificate in Combatting Marine & Air Pollution from Shipping introduces the Certificate in Combatting Marine and Air Pollution from Shipping course and explains who and how will benefit from this 12-week programme.
100% Online - Learn from wherever you are!
At Lloyd’s Maritime Academy, lifelong learning is a concept that we’re passionate about and for this reason, we make it as accessible and flexible for our students.
Online learning puts you in control of your learning – especially suitable for all of us in the maritime industry where we often spend time away from home. With our courses you are free to study when, where and how you choose, and in the style and the speed that is right for you. Early morning, in a work break, late at night – it is entirely up to you so you can fit your education around your work and/or family commitments.
So what’s stopping you? Get in touch today and find out how we can help provide you with a timely career boost.
Why choose Lloyd's Maritime Academy
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of how, where and when to study, at a pace that's right for you
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge.