27 - 31 July 2020
IT Law Summer School
The leading event to gain a comprehensive grounding in all the critical aspects of IT law.
This all-inclusive residential event is led by the top legal experts and designed to equip you with the practical knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the IT sector.
The fundamental event to expand your cyber law knowledge
Whether you have recently started your training contract or are seeking to move into the field of information technology, the IT Law Summer School is the perfect choice.
Hear from some of the most respected legal minds from across industry and private practice and spend the evenings exploring the beautiful and historic city of Cambridge with your new colleagues.
Now in its 23rd year, the IT Law Summer School remains the fundamental event to give you the knowledge and tools to make your career in IT Law a success.
Build knowledge in key areas of IT law theory and application at the IT Law Summer School
Enjoy 4 evenings of networking in historic Cambridge!
- Get to know your new colleagues in a relaxed, informal setting
- Form a team and test your general knowledge at our pub quiz night
- Dress up for a formal gala dinner in the historic dining hall
- Enjoy a guided tour of historic Cambridge
- Make a splash punting on the scenic River Cam
DAY 1: Learn the key concepts every legal practitioner needs to know
- Understand legal liability in the digital age
- Discover the principal elements and obligations of an IT contract
- Explore the relationship between law and practice when looking at exclusions and limitations of liability
- Grasp the complex relationship between IT and IP
- Get involved in a mock contract debate
DAY 2: Take an in-depth look at copyright and procurement
- Hear from the Technology Law Alliance on technology procurement
- Learn about alternative IP licenses and their uses
- Master the complex field of technology public procurement
- Explore the specific copyright issues surrounding software
- Competition law in the IT sector: why is it special?
DAY 3: Tackle the new challenges of corporate transactions
- Make sure your corporate transactions are wrinkle free by understanding the risks and exposure IT brings
- Learn how to structure outsourced tech contracts
- Explore how cloud computing is changing data processing, contracting and more
DAY 4: Protecting privacy in the information era
- Get up to date on GDPR challenges
- How will international transfers change under the GDPR?
- ICO enforcement powers
- Digest the scope of the Investigatory Powers Act and how it will affect the legal industry
DAY 5: Exploring the frontier of IT law
- Understanding liability on social media
- Jurisdictional considerations - where are you liable?
- FinTech and Blockchains are changing the financial world - make sure you're ready
- Learn how robotics, AI and computer learning are changing the legal practice
OUR EXPERT SPEAKER LINE-UP:
Partner and Head of Information Technology, Intellectual Property and Commercial