Application Deadline: 25 March 2024
A level 7 online course designed to offer port and terminal professionals a qualification guided by the industry
The MSc for Port and Terminal Executives - gain the tools to make your port/terminal more commercially effective
MSc in Port and Terminal Management with Maritime Logistics
This course has been designed to deliver advanced knowledge of port and terminal management to students keen to advance their career. Split into four maritime-focussed modules, and one optional module, this course will explore issues in port security, international trade, maritime economics, global logistics and port and terminal management, giving students a holistic overview of the issues prevalent in ports and terminals across the globe in these current times.
The course is comprised of the following modules:
- Module 1 - Port management and security
- Module 2 - International trade and global transport
- Module 3 - Logistics and supply chain management
- Module 4 - Optional module
- Module 5 - Maritime economics and management
- Module 6 - Research Methods
- Module 7 - Project management
- Final Module - MSc Project
What you'll learn
- The specific security hazards affecting the maritime and port sector in the present day and the relevant legislation on the fields of maritime and port security
- Knowledge on trade patterns within the wider geopolitical arena and a critical understanding of the range of transport options available to an international shipper
- How to critically analyse current developments in logistics and supply chain management and their impact.
- To explain and evaluate various aspects of marine operations including chartering
- To formulate research questions or hypothesis and develop a research plan and deliver a fully developed research proposal.
- To identify and evaluate the operational risks of a project from inception to delivery.
How will you learn?
The course is taught in a distance learning format, with no attendance required on campus. All aspects of the programme are managed over the internet using a dedicated virtual learning environment platform which manages each participant’s learning schedule. The course will include access to online study materials plus tutorial and discussion forums for networking and interacting with tutors and peers. Forum discussions allow students to cooperate across time zones and share knowledge, experience or discuss the course content with other students and course tutors.
Each module uses a variety of learning tools combined into a varied, interactive programme with resources including:
- Detailed study guides
- Electronic documents, readings, case studies and coursework
- Pre-recorded lectures
- Online multimedia content Interactive discussion groups and tutorials
The modules are made available to you following a schedule that allows you to work at your own pace but keep in sequence with the assessment requirements. Each module is broken into a series of units and lessons, making the content manageable and assisting with your time allocation throughout the programme.
How is this course assessed?
- To successfully complete the course you must pass each module.
- Assessment will incorporate coursework, online examinations, research assignments and essays.
- You will also be expected to participate in the virtual learning environment with tutors and fellow students.
- There will be no examinations requiring attendance at a venue.
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of where, when, how and the rate at which you study
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge
- Save money – no additional travel or accommodation costs