Delivered by digital learning over 12 weeks
Understanding the different approaches to resolving shipping disputes
With the aim of avoiding complex and costly legal proceedings where unnecessary, this course familiarises you with the alternatives, including negotiation and mediation.
Certificate in Maritime Disputes & Arbitration
- Module 1 - Types of Marine Disputes, Claims and Approaches to Resolution
- Module 2 - The Legal Framework: Maritime Disputes and Litigation
- Module 3 - Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Module 4 - Maritime Arbitration
- Module 5 - Designing an Arbitration Regime
- Module 6 - Arbitration Procedures
What you'll learn
Disagreements can arise at any stage of the maritime cycle, from newbuilding and repairs to salvage, pollution, bunker and cargo claims. Charterparties are also a major source of disputes.
The key to resolving disputes effectively is to understand the range of options available, from informal meetings all the way up to litigation. With the aim of avoiding complex and costly legal proceedings where unnecessary, this course familiarises you with the alternatives, including negotiation and mediation.
There is a special focus on arbitration, being one of the primary methods of dispute resolution used in the maritime industry.
Who is it for?
The course will be of value to shipping industry entrants, and as a refresher to those wanting to consolidate or update their knowledge. It will also benefit those needing to learn more about the legal and practical implications of maritime disputes to advance their career.
The certificate also represents a solid foundation for higher studies in the fields of chartering, arbitration, maritime law and international trade.
Your Digital Badge
You can now have a digital version of your Lloyd’s Maritime Academy Certification!
Powered by Credly, your Lloyd’s Maritime Academy digital badge is an online version of your credentials that contains a description of your award, demonstrated skills and what it took to obtain your certificate qualification.
Also, your digital badge allows you to get labor market insights data including job openings, salary ranges and selected top employers, and you can display the badge in your email signature, electronic copies of your resume and on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter!
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of where, when, how and the rate at which you study
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge
- Save money – no additional travel or accommodation costs