SUSTAINABILITY AT BIO-EUROPE SPRING
EBD Group is committed to running events which are both environmentally sustainable and socially responsible. Please review the information below to learn more about our sustainability efforts and the steps you can take to make a difference.
HELP US RESTORE AND PLANT A MILLION MANGROVES
For every 50 meeting requests attendees respond to we will plant one mangrove tree – a project we can all enjoy supporting, as a part of our wider commitment to delivering a sustainable event.
We are excited to be supporting the Million Mangroves project. Mangroves– trees that live on the edge of land and sea – provide crucial wildlife habitats, are an excellent carbon sink (four times more than a rainforest), protect the coast from flooding and erosion and also provide local communities with a key source of food and income. In recent years many vital mangrove habitats have been destroyed, but by supporting their restoration you can help us reinstate these wonderful, hard-working trees that are helping combat the challenges of climate change.
It’s more polite to decline than ignore a request. Help us to drive up the meeting response rate and do good at the same time!
RUNNING AN ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE EVENT
BIO-Europe Spring will be run in an increasingly environmentally responsible manner, focusing on:
Digital Event Guide
Our event guide significantly reduced and mostly available online in order to reduce our usage of paper products during the live experience. We'll have QR codes onsite that attendees can easily scan with their smartphone to pull up the agenda on their mobile devices.
Printing and Recycling
- Use of digital signage wherever possible.
- To reduce paper waste, we encourage you to access your schedule via partneringONE in lieu of printing. Our partnering platform is mobile responsive and conveniently allows you to check your schedule from any mobile device, no additional app needed.
- Messe Basel separates glass, batteries, paper, cardboard, lamps and other waste.
- Paper-only name badges without plastic holders are administered.
- Lanyards are ensured to be collected and fully recycled post-event.
Food and Beverage
- Significant efforts are made to reduce food waste by anticipating precise delegate numbers.
- Food offerings for breakfast, lunch and breaks will be vegetarian. During evening events, menus will include some meat dishes.
- Menus are seasonal and regional wherever possible.
- Chinaware and cutlery are offered whenever possible. Where disposables are necessary, we have switched to biodegradable materials. You can also bring your own bottle and refill, if you want to help.
- Messe Basel generates 100% renewable energy through its own photovoltaic system, installed on the roof of hall 1. Learn more here.
- We will ensure all added lighting is energy efficient
In our efforts to reduce waste, almost no carpet will be laid within public spaces, i.e exhibition lounges and aisles and the partnering area.
Encouraging Train Travel
We encourage delegates based in Switzerland, Germany, or close neighbouring countries to use the train to travel to Basel. In cooperation with Deutsche Bahn, we are offering a discounted event ticket for train travel from Germany.
INSPIRING SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Our aim for BIO-Europe Spring is to promote long-term sustainable development — not only in the way we run the event, but also in how it's implemented in the market as a whole. We are committing to:
My First BIO-Europe Spring Program
We are introducing a custom-made initiative, My First BIO-Europe Spring Program, tailored to the needs of first-time attendees. The program will include the opportunity to start networking with your peers and a sneak preview of the conference on Sunday, March 19, for easier navigation on the first day of the conference
A Drive For Innovation
- Optimizing partneringONE as a driver for innovation within the life science industry to enable attendees to partner with anyone around the globe.
- Facilitating innovation by encouraging start-ups to attend our events and offering start-up programming, start-up presentation tracks and program sessions with Academic Innovators and Nextgen Companies.
Global Genes Partnership
A long-standing relationship with Global Genes, a non-profit organization to support patient-industry interaction
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Our mission is to give our colleagues, the markets we serve, and our wider communities access to extraordinary people and diverse insights that brings us together and celebrates authenticity. Through our live and data-driven digital services, we cultivate connections, provide meaningful content, and strive to remain a global leader. We celebrate unique perspectives and sharing all ideas within a safe and transparent environment. We believe in sustainability and continuous learning as it strengthens everything from our people, our products and our markets.
SUSTAINABILITY AT INFORMA
Our event is part of Informa Connect and the Informa Group. Sustainability at Informa focuses on the long term impacts we have on customers, colleagues, the communities we work in and the environment.
Many of our stakeholders are clearly telling us that sustainability (social, economic and environmental) is something that is no longer a nice to have but a necessary part of any event. We want to make sure we’re meeting those expectations and we believe that being sustainable is the right thing to do.
We also recognize that it’s not just about the way we produce our events and products but recognizing that we have a role to play in providing a space to work in partnership together with our markets to inspire the sustainable development of the industries we serve. This is an ongoing process for us and we’re looking for ideas of how we can improve.
More information about our work so far can be found on www.informa.com/sustainability including our latest sustainability reports.
Informa and its events have received numerous awards and recognition including: