6 - 10 July 2020
Christ's College, Cambridge,
36th Annual Decommissioning & Radioactive Waste Management Summer School
Benefit from technical presentations, practical sessions, CPD points and unmissable networking experiences
Your course registration fee includes breakfast, lunch and three evening meals and four nights' accommodation at Christ's College in Cambridge
Decommissioning and radioactive waste summer school in numbers
2019 programme included
Waste management updates from a variety of countries:
- An update from Germany: the status and developments in decommissioning
- Radioactive waste management in Finland
- CEA France delivers an introduction into Fusion Power – what waste is generated and what will come from decommissioning?
Updates on EU and international regulations, policies, and guidelines:
- Nuclear energy and radioactive waste management in Europe
- Impact of Brexit and outlook for Europe in Decommissioning and Radioactive Waste Management
- Regulation at nuclear sites
- The NDA’s strategy for decommissioning and clean-up of the UK’s civil public sector nuclear sites
Characterisation, clearance and transport of radioactive waste:
- Understanding the management of low level and intermediate level waste
- Defining characterisation
- UK radioactive waste transport
- Radioactive land remediation and final site clearance
- Storage of radioactive waste and spent fuel - a UK and international perspective
Lessons learnt from ongoing decommissioning projects
- Winfrith end state development
- MOD submarine dismantling: understand public perception on decommissioning and radioactive waste management
Relax and build connections with your industry peers
- Gala Dinner
- Punting on the River
- Walking Tour of Cambridge
The Decommissioning and Radioactive Waste Management Summer School programme is approved for CPD accreditation and is recognised as meeting CPD requirements by all relevant associations. Delegates will receive a certification of attendance on completion of the course and can claim 28 CPD points.
2019 Speaker Highlights
Senior Expert in Decommissioning and Safeguards
Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority Finland
What Will Be Discussed?
- Characterisation of Waste - Assess information provided on potential sampling and analysis scenarios
- Remediation of Radioactive Land - Develop a plan for remediation of radioactive land, taking into consideration issues such as regulations, funding and technical processes
- Decommissioning and Safe Management of Radioactive Waste - Work in groups to tackle key issues presented
What Will You Learn?
Walk away with a thorough understanding of:
- The nuclear energy agenda in the EU
- Key considerations in the decommissioning process, including risk management, contracts and financing
- Characterisation techniques and challenges
- Disposal for different waste types with a focus on geological and deep geological disposal
Who Will You Meet?
- The nuclear industry
- Decommissioning service providers
- Consultancies working in the decommissioning and radioactive waste area
- Nuclear reactor manufacturers
WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN OUR SPEAKER FACULTY?
We are always keen to hear from experienced professionals who may wish to contribute to our conference or training course programmes. Our course and conference programmes are thoroughly researched over a period of months, ensuring that all topics are comprehensive, up-to-date and cover those issues that matter most to the marketplace.
To learn more about the benefits of speaking, or how to become more involved, please contact Ela Banerjee on:
T: +44 (20) 337 73269