1 - 4 September 2020
Virtual Summer School,
Delivered Live Online (BST time) & On-Demand Afterwards
Virtual Summer School
Online. Easy access. Anywhere in the World.
Join the Decommissioning & Radioactive Waste Management Summer School from the comfort of your home. Benefit from technical presentations, practical sessions, CPD points and unmissable networking experiences.
2020 programme includes:
Waste management updates from a variety of countries:
- An update from Germany: the status and developments in decommissioning
- Radioactive waste management in Finland
- CEA France delivers an introduction into Fusion Power – what waste is generated and what will come from decommissioning?
Updates on EU and international regulations, policies, and guidelines:
- Nuclear energy and radioactive waste management in Europe
- Impact of Brexit and outlook for Europe in Decommissioning and Radioactive Waste Management
- Regulation at nuclear sites
- The NDA’s strategy for decommissioning and clean-up of the UK’s civil public sector nuclear sites
Characterisation, clearance and transport of radioactive waste:
- Understanding the management of low level and intermediate level waste
- Defining characterisation
- UK radioactive waste transport
- Radioactive land remediation and final site clearance
- Storage of radioactive waste and spent fuel - a UK and international perspective
Lessons learnt from ongoing decommissioning projects
- Winfrith end state development
- MOD submarine dismantling: understand public perception on decommissioning and radioactive waste management
- Characterisation of Waste - Assess information provided on potential sampling and analysis scenarios
- Remediation of Radioactive Land - Develop a plan for remediation of radioactive land, taking into consideration issues such as regulations, funding and technical processes
- Decommissioning and Safe Management of Radioactive Waste - Work in groups to tackle key issues presented
The Decommissioning and Radioactive Waste Management Summer School programme is approved for CPD accreditation and is recognised as meeting CPD requirements by all relevant associations. Delegates will receive a certification of attendance on completion of the course and can claim 28 CPD points.
2020 Speakers Include:
Senior Expert in Decommissioning and Safeguards
Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority Finland
What to expect
- Our virtual platform will be your summer school venue
- Enjoy enhanced flexibility with access to live and on-demand content
- Interact with influential speakers during live Q&A
- Join hosted meeting rooms
- Book one on one meetings with attendees and build your network
What Will Be Discussed?
What Will You Learn?
Walk away with a thorough understanding of:
- The nuclear energy agenda in the EU
- Key considerations in the decommissioning process, including risk management, contracts and financing
- Characterisation techniques and challenges
- Disposal for different waste types with a focus on geological and deep geological disposal
Who Will You Meet?
- The nuclear industry
- Decommissioning service providers
- Consultancies working in the decommissioning and radioactive waste area
- Nuclear reactor manufacturers