Safe and effective management and operation of heavy and project cargoes aboard various vessels
Professional development for those working in heavy lift operations or supporting sectors
Diploma in Heavy Lift and Project Cargo Operations
- Module 1 - Introduction to the Heavy Lift and Transport Industry
- Module 2 - Dimensions, Weights and Forces
- Module 3 - Rigging and Lashing
- Module 4 - Heavy Transport
- Module 5 - Heavy Lifting
- Module 6 - Load Outs
- Module 7 - Maintenance, Inspection and Documentation
- Module 8 - Project Cargoes
- Module 9 - Planning Stowage Aboard Ships and Barges
- Module 10 - Health and Safety
- Module 11 - Case Study -Planning and Coordination of a Heavy Lift on to a Heavy Lift Vessel
What you'll learn
- Describe how a heavy lift project works from planning to completion.
- Describe the different types of equipment, their functions and where they will be applied.
- Evaluate the impact of dimensions, gravity and weight.
- Explain the principles of heavy lifting, jacking, rigging and cargo securing.
- Discuss suspension and stability, load charts and how they are used.
- Discuss relevant maritime regulations together with health and safety requirements.
- Identify issues involved in heavy lift accidents.
- Explain how to maintain heavy lift and associated equipment and how to apply PM programmes.
- Define the various standards, codes, rules and guidelines applicable to each aspect of heavy lift and project cargo operations.
How you'll learn
Every course is broken down into manageable modules, designed to accelerate your learning process through diverse learning activities:
- Work through your instructional material online
- Interact with your peers and learning facilitators through the online forum to discuss subject related issues and to network with your fellow learners
- Investigate relevant, real-world case studies
- Apply what you learn each week to ongoing project submissions
Assessed and awarded by North Kent College
Delivered in partnership between the National Maritime Training Centre at North Kent College and Lloyd’s Maritime Academy, the course continues to be the ideal professional development course for existing ship managers, prospective ship managers and for those who work alongside the ship management sector.
Prefer a shorter course?
The Certificate in Heavy Lift teaches you the key principles involved in heavy lift operations
Choose Lloyd's Maritime Academy!
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of how, where and when to study, at a pace that's right for you
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge