Application Deadline Extended 12th October 2022
Our copyright law course will provide you with in-depth and up-to-date knowledge about the general principles of the discipline
Study with a top 5 UK law school (QS World University Rankings 2021)
Postgraduate Diploma/MA in UK, EU & US Copyright Law Online Course
Our distance-learning UK, EU & US Copyright Law course will introduce you to the main International Copyright Conventions. It deals with a wide range of rights (e.g., literary, dramatic, artistic works) as well as covering infringement and remedies and looks at the challenges presented by international communication through satellite and the internet.
- Module 1 - International and UK Copyright Law I
- Unit 1: Historical Background, International Context and General Principles
- Unit 2: Copyright Subject Matter
- Unit 3: Protection of Criteria / Beneficiaries of Protection
- Module 2 - UK Copyright Law II
- Unit 4: Economic Rights / Moral Rights
- Unit 5: Limitations and Exceptions/ Exercise of Rights / Control of the Exercise of Copyright
- Unit 6: Infringement/ Remedies, Penalties and Enforcement/ Additional Legislative Features
- Module 3 - US Copyright Law and French & German Authors' Rights Law
- Unit 7: General Overview/ Basis of Protection/ Subject Matter of Protection/ Protection Criteria and Formalities/ Economic Rights/ Moral Rights
- Unit 8: Limitations and Exceptions/ Term of Protection/ Exercise of Rights/ Infringement/ Remedies and Penalties: Additional Legislative Provisions and Current Issues
- Unit 9: General Outline of French and German Laws on Author’s Rights and Related Rights
- Module 4 - EU Copyright Law
- Unit 10: Introduction/ Principles of Free Movement of Goods and Services and Competition Law/ Harmonisation Programme/ Satellite Broadcasting and Cable Retransmission Directive
- Unit 11: Rental/ Lending and Related Rights Directive/ Term Directive and its Revision/ Copyright in the Information Society Directive/ Resale Right Directive/ Orphan Works Directive
- Unit 12: Computer Program Directive/ Database Directive
What you'll learn
Benefit from a highly relevant programme that will:
- Introduce the main international copyright conventions in the field
- Deal with rights in literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works, films, sound recordings, broadcasts, cable programmes, computer programs and databases, performers’ rights and publishers’ rights
- Cover both theoretical aspects and questions which arise in practice, in particular concerning
infringement and available remedies
- Include a unit devoted to the French and German laws on author’s rights and related rights
- Examine thoroughly United States Copyright Law in two units
- Conclude with the main challenges in the field of copyright, in particular those arising from international communication through satellite and the internet, and from digital technology generally
How you'll learn
- The distance learning Postgraduate Diploma in UK, EU & US Copyright Law Programme is structured into four modules of twelve units.
- Each unit comes in the form of hard copy print and as a PDF file via the Programme website.
- Students will also receive a hard copy of the textbook Intellectual Property Law - Text, Cases and Materials by Aplin and Davis to accompany some of the units.
- Questions will be set at the end of each unit and model answers to these will be sent with the unit that follows.
- Units are normally sent by post and overseas students will be sent their material by air courier. Students are expected to engage with the online platform during their studies.
- All students will be eligible to attend three optional weekend seminars at King’s College London.
Optional Weekend Seminars
- There will be three intensive weekend seminars normally held in November 2022, February 2023 and March 2023 (exact dates will be confirmed as soon as possible after enrolment)
- The weekend seminars will be held in Central London.
- Authors will lecture and revise study material during two full days of teaching.
- Seminars are recorded to view for those students who cannot attend the seminars.
- It is strongly recommended that students benefit from these intensive revision sessions. (The format of the seminars will depend on social distancing measures at the time).
- The seminars are not compulsory but are very beneficial and provide an excellent opportunity to meet fellow students, the programme director and programme authors.
The Dickson Poon School of Law
Why study with the Dickson Poon School of Law?
- Benefit from the School's pioneering transnational legal research and teaching.
- Examine the issues of international corporate law, including regulation of mergers and acquisitions, corporate form and its issues.
- Focus on key transactions and legal arrangements entered into by a corporate body.
- Learn from world-leading academics and lawyers with decades of commercial experience.
- Expand your transnational network of commercial law professionals.
- Build the practical skills that employers are looking for.
- Begin your studies when it's convenient for you, with six entry points a year.
- Flexible duration: LLM - minimum 2 years, maximum 6 years. Postgraduate Diploma (PG Dip) - minimum 16 months, maximum 4 years. Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) - minimum 8 months, maximum 3 years
- Study mode: 100% online Study anywhere, anytime.
- Build your global network: Connect with like-minded peers.
- Support from start to finish: Connect in real-time with tutors and fellow students to enhance your learning.
Empowering you to achieve your LLM or Master's Degree from anywhere in the world!
Looking for a world renowned Digital Learning programme?
Boost your CV or gain a qualification in the Legal, Finance, Security, Terrorism or Maritime sectors with one of our Academic Programmes - 100% Online!
Why choose Informa Connect
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of how, where and when to study, at a pace that's right for you
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge