Prioritizing sustainability is critical to the BUILDEX team, and parent company Informa as we understand the environmental impact of the events industry. BUILDEX strives to identify, understand and address these impacts to achieve continual improvement year after year.
Not only are we committed to running our events in an environmentally and socially responsible way, but we also strive to go further and inspire the sustainable development of the industry we serve, and the community we foster.
- Forming a successful partnership with Habitat for Humanity to collect building material donations for reuse. Read more here.
- Eliminating printed show guides from the event.
- Removing aisle carpet from all annual BUILDEX events.
- Tracking all wastage and energy use from our events.
- Purchasing renewable energy to offset our carbon emissions for each BUILDEX event.
- Reducing Products and "swag" ordered for the event.
- At BUILDEX Vancouver 2022 we increased our diversion rate to 57%, 12% higher when compared with our 2020 event.
Here at BUILDEX we create short-term goals as well as larger long term goals looking towards the future. Over 80% of our attendees say it is important that our event is run in a sustainable way, and we agree.
Annually our team work together to create three substantial goals based around sustainability, community and diversity and inclusion.
Please check back later to see what goals we are working towards for BUILDEX Vancouver 2023.
- Vancouver Convention Centre is a double LEED platinum certified facility.
- Housing a six-acre living roof, featuring more than 400,000 indigenous plants and grasses, the VCC’s roof is designed to act as an insulator, reducing heat gains in the summer and heat losses in the winter.
- Modern black water treatment plant recycles grey and black water that goes back into the building for washrooms use and rooftop irrigation during warmer weather.
- A diversion of 75% of the total internal waste generated, this includes batteries, lighting ballasts, wood, organics, metal, glass, plastic and much more.
For more information on Vancouver Convention Centre sustainability initiatives click here.
BUILDEX Vancouver Sustainability Agenda
Please check back closer to BUILDEX Vancouver 2023!
TIPS ON HOW YOU CAN HELP!
- Travel to BUILDEX using public transit or carpool.
- Bring a reusable water bottle to refill.
- While on-site please use the waste/recycling/composting bins correctly.
- Download your badge on your phone.
- Scan the QR codes onsite to access the show guide.
- Support our community partner.
- Attend the content based around sustainability.
- Reduce physical handouts, opt for a QR code instead.
- Reuse and recycle your booth and signage. Create signage without dates so it can be reused.
- Avoid materials such as foam, plastic, and chemicals or adhesives.
- Use energy efficient LED lights whenever possible to highlight areas and products within your booth, while keeping energy consumption minimal.'
- During Move-In/Move Out ensure you utilize the cardboard & hard/soft plastic recycling bins. If elements of your display cannot be recycled — consider donating re-usable material to companies like Habitat for Humanity.
At Informa, we are reducing our carbon footprint by increasing our efficiency, making and purchasing renewable energy, and making smart choices in how we travel. To compensate for emissions we can’t yet avoid, we help others reduce their emissions through carbon offset projects. Our work with Natural Capital Partners supports a range of certified, audited projects around the world that absorb or avoid greenhouse gases being emitted. Read further here.
FasterForward to Zero
FasterForward is Informa’s approach to sustainability, moving faster to become a zero waste and net zero carbon business.
A series of activities and commitments carried out between 2020-2025 will ensure our events become ever more sustainable, delivering a truly positive impact to the markets we serve. We will also actively help our partners, customers and wider markets to achieve the same.
Our FasterForward commitments include:
- Become carbon neutral across our events by 2025
- Halve the waste generated through our events by 2025
- Embed sustainability inside 100% of our events by 2025
See the full list of commitments and find out more
DIVERSITY & INCLUSIVITY AT BUILDEX
For BUILDEX to remain relevant for the next generation of leaders, we must push diversity hard at every turn, changing established thinking. And giving access to opportunities where you can learn more about each other and topics that drive change is our goal. Everything we do goes towards creating the ultimate experience: making a safe, inclusive space for people to gather and celebrate together.
BUILDEX is committed to excellence in serving all customers. We want people with disabilities to have the same opportunity to access our show and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place. To ensure your visit to BUILDEX is a rewarding experience, contact us in advance to let us know how we can better assist you. If you require additional tickets for supports persons, assisted devices or any accommodation, please contact us three weeks prior to the show so we can work together to meet your accessibility needs. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see Vancouver Convention Centre venue accessibility page here.