Prioritizing sustainability is critical to the BUILDEX team, and our parent company Informa as we realize our events cause environment impact. BUILDEX is striving to identify, understand, and address these impacts to achieve continual improvement year after year. Our areas of focus continue to be: waste management, energy and water conservation and community engagement.
Climate Smart Certified
In 2020 Informa Canada Vancouver, the parent company of BUILDEX proudly became Climate Smart Certified!
The training provided by Climate Smart allowed our team to identify and analyze our events greenhouse gas emissions and design practical solutions within our community. In addition to the measures outlined below, these solutions complement Informa’s Faster Forward initiative to become carbon neutral by the beginning of the year 2025 and a Zero Carbon and Zero Waste company by the beginning of the year 2030.
- Replaced all single use plastic with China service and compostable ware
- Increased our waste diversion rate by 20% in the past two years
- Completely eliminate paper showguides in 2021 keeping over 10,000+ physical showguides out of waste receptacles
- In 2020, 60% of BUILDEX educational content provided a form of sustainable guidance to the market professionals
Think Sustainably and Consider These 5 Points When Creating Your Booth:
- Reduce physical handouts and “swag”. Instead use QR codes and technology to provide information electronically (If you must print paper products — use recycled paper)
- Reuse and Recycle. Consider using booth material & signage that can be reused year after year (Exclude specific dates or locations)
- Avoid materials such as foam, plastic, and chemicals or adhesives
- Use energy efficient LED lights whenever possible to highlight areas and products within your booth, while keeping energy consumption minimal.
- During Move-In/ Move Out ensure you utilize the cardboard & hard/ soft plastic recycling bins (If elements of your display cannot be recycled — consider donating re-usable material to companies like Habitat for Humanity)
Attendee Sustainability Tips
- Download your badge on your phone — this eliminates use for a badge or lanyard on site
- Download the show app — new in 2021 this replaces a physical show guide
- Take public transit or carpool to the event whenever possible. The Vancouver Convention Centre is conveniently located beside the SeaBus and Waterfront Station.