Delivered by digital learning over 12 weeks (Part-time)
Your detailed introduction to shipping: A practical A to Z guide to the whole of the maritime industry
Study the background to commercial, legal, technical and financial drivers in the shipping sector.
Certificate in Shipping Business
- Module 1 – Shipping Industry and the Global Economy, the Markets and International Organisations
- Module 2 – Development of Ships, Regulation, International Conventions, Ship Manning and Port Operations
- Module 3 – Ship Finance – Financing, Purchasing and Trading of Ships
- Module 4 – Registration and Classification, Ship Operations, Revenues and Costs
- Module 5 – Maritime and Commercial Law, the Carriage of Goods by Sea and Liability
- Module 6 – Marine and Cargo Insurance, P&I Clubs and the Insurance Market
What you'll learn
- Introduction to the core elements of the marine industry, including world trade development, demand for shipping services, economics of sea transport, international trade, trade balance and trade routes and more
- Ship operations, characteristics and manning
- The significance of financial aspects in shipping business including general principles of financing ships, borrower structures, senior debt, capital markets, securitisation, leasing, hedging and more
- The fundamentals of legal system, law of contract, maritime law, acquisition and ownership of ships and international regulations
- Insurance, origins, legal background and Hull and Machinery insurance and more
How you'll learn
Every course is broken down into manageable modules, designed to accelerate your learning process through diverse learning activities:
- Work through your instructional material online
- Interact with your peers and learning facilitators through the online forum to discuss subject related issues and to network with your fellow learners
- Investigate relevant, real-world case studies
- Apply what you learn each week to ongoing project submissions
Your Digital Badge!
You can now have a digital version of your Lloyd’s Maritime Academy Certification!
Powered by Credly, your Lloyd’s Maritime Academy Digital Badge is an online version of your credentials that contains a description of your Award, Demonstrated Skills and what it took to obtain your Certificate qualification.
Also, your Digital Badge allows you to get labor market insights data including job openings, salary ranges and selected top employers, and you can display the badge in your email signature, electronic copies of your resume and on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter!
Why take the course?
Watch a short video where the course director Dr Iliana Christodoulou-Varotsi gives a brief overview of the Certificate in Shipping Business.
100% Online - Learn from wherever you are!
At Lloyd’s Maritime Academy, lifelong learning is a concept that we’re passionate about and for this reason, we make it as accessible and flexible for our students.
Online learning puts you in control of your learning – especially suitable for all of us in the maritime industry where we often spend time away from home. With our courses you are free to study when, where and how you choose, and in the style and the speed that is right for you. Early morning, in a work break, late at night - it is entirely up to you so you can fit your education around your work and/or family commitments.
So what’s stopping you? Get in touch today and find out how we can help provide you with a timely career boost.
Why choose Lloyd's Maritime Academy
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of how, where and when to study, at a pace that's right for you
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge.