Delivered by digital learning over 12 months
Guidance and best practice for effective investigation of marine accidents
Gain the expertise required to conduct thorough investigations which could promote improved safety and be of value to yourself, your employer and the maritime industry as a whole.
Diploma in Marine Accident Investigation
- Module 1 – Introduction and Background to Accident Investigation
- Module 2 – The Common Causes of Marine Accidents
- Module 3 – First Principles of Marine Accident Investigation
- Module 4 – Practical Preparation for the Investigation
- Module 5 – Investigation Protocol
- Module 6 – On Site Risk Assessment and Investigation Management
- Module 7 – Data Collection
- Module 8 – Analysis of Data
- Module 9 – The Investigation Report
- Module 10 – Post-Publication of a Marine Accident Report
- Module 11 – A Mock Marine Accident Investigation and Report
What you'll learn
- Discuss the international background to marine accident investigation, its stakeholders and the influence of current legislation and regulations
- Identify the common causes of marine accidents
- Analyse the human factors involved and how management can be used to address and reduce their impact
- Describe how to set up an investigation ensuring data collection and relationships with stakeholders are not compromised
- Conduct a risk assessment (including a dynamic risk assessment), identifying all key risk factors
- Explain root cause analysis and its application within the investigation process
- Integrate learning from across the course to a topical case study situation
How you'll learn
Every course is broken down into manageable modules, designed to accelerate your learning process through diverse learning activities:
- Work through your instructional material online
- Interact with your peers and learning facilitators through the online forum to discuss subject related issues and to network with your fellow learners
- Investigate relevant, real-world case studies
- Apply what you learn each week to ongoing project submissions
Assessed and awarded by North Kent College
Delivered in partnership between the National Maritime Training Centre at North Kent College and Lloyd’s Maritime Academy, the course continues to be the ideal professional development course for existing ship managers, prospective ship managers and for those who work alongside the ship management sector.
100% Online - Learn from wherever you are!
At Lloyd’s Maritime Academy, lifelong learning is a concept that we’re passionate about and for this reason, we make it as accessible and flexible for our students.
Online learning puts you in control of your learning – especially suitable for all of us in the maritime industry where we often spend time away from home. With our courses you are free to study when, where and how you choose, and in the style and the speed that is right for you. Early morning, in a work break, late at night - it is entirely up to you so you can fit your education around your work and/or family commitments.
So what’s stopping you? Get in touch today and find out how we can help provide you with a timely career boost.
Why choose Lloyd's Maritime Academy
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of where, when, how and the rate at which you study
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge
- Save money – no additional travel or accommodation costs