Application Deadline 2 September 2024
Study how diplomacy plays a role in the global security and law enforcement paradigm
Study the interplay between modern diplomacy and security - tutored online course with Liverpool John Moores University
MSc Diplomacy and Security Studies
The course syllabus is designed to provide you with the understanding of inter-disciplinary links between diplomatic studies and security, alongside counter-terrorism and international relations. Analyse new theories and paradigms and learn to engage critically with the topic.
- Module 1 - Security Studies
- Module 2 - Intelligence Analysis
- Module 3 - Theory and Practice of Modern Diplomacy
- Module 4 - Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism
- Module 5 - International Relations in the Contemporary World
- Module 6 - Contemporary Issues in Crime, Safety and Security
- Module 7 - Diplomacy and Security Studies Dissertation
What you'll learn
- The debates between those seeking to retain the discipline’s focus purely on military conflict and those who argue that in a globalised world Security Studies needs to be expanded to a consideration of economic, environmental as well as social issues.
- What intelligence and analysis really mean, their overall role, and their application to security-related issues of criminology and the domain of public protection.
- The central debate about the nature of diplomacy in the twenty-first century.
- Counter-terrorism and other responses by the state, the security services and the police.
- The increasingly cross-border interactions that are reshaping regions, states and societies.
- The emerging paradigms within counter-terrorism safety and security at both local and global levels, and to explore some justifications for the increasing ‘securitisation’ of social life
When does it start and how long is the course?
We offer one start date per academic year (September).
The programme must be completed within:
- PGCert: 11 months
- PGDip: 22 months
- MSc: 28 months
How is the course assessed?
To successfully complete the course you must pass each module. Assessment will incorporate coursework, online examinations, research assignments and essays. You will also be expected to participate in the virtual learning environment with tutors and fellow students. There will be no examinations requiring attendance at a venue.
Get the Latest Course Updates
Empowering you to achieve your LLM or Master's Degree from anywhere in the world!
Looking for a world renowned Digital Learning programme?
Boost your CV or gain a qualification in the Legal, Finance, Security, Terrorism or Maritime sectors with one of our Academic Programmes - 100% Online!
Why choose Informa Connect
- Accessible – 24/7 availability from wherever you have an internet connection
- Flexible – take control of where, when, how and the rate at which you study
- Professional – industry leading course directors and tutors
- Quality – study the same course used by corporations for internal training
- Network – with tutors and like-minded professionals from around the world. Use our online tutorial forum to ask questions and share knowledge
- Save money – no additional travel or accommodation costs