Monday 8 - Friday 12 August 2022
EU Competition Law Summer School
Your A-Z of EU competition law. Gain a firm understanding of the fundamentals and build on them through multi-format sessions to shape practical strategies & address current challenges
Competition law experts sharing their experience in 2022 include:
The perfect way to come to grips with EU Competition Law in just 5 days!
Covering all areas of competition law, this residential, all-inclusive event is tailored to the needs of professionals and provides a firm understanding of EU competition law to help them shape their practical strategies.
Now in its 24th year, each day builds on a key theme in competition law, through a combination of intensive lectures, practical discussions, in-depth Q&As and real life case studies - ensuring that delegates are proficient in both the fundamentals, as well as currently developing hot topics, which this year include extended sessions on digital markets, sustainability, FDI and an update on UK competition law post-Brexit.
Instructed by top competition law minds, including regulators, in-house counsel, private practice lawyers and economists, each day will provide ample opportunities to network with your peers and experts - establishing a pool of invaluable contacts for future business opportunities.
Plus! Get 29 CPD hours and a certificate on completion.
Each Day is Structured to Focus on a Theme, Providing a Solid Foundation in EU Competition Law:
Day 1: Article 101
During Day 1 our expert speakers will provide you with a firm foundation for understanding EU competition law focusing specifically on Article 101 - including principles and practical examples of hard core cartels and key economic considerations, as well as horizontal agreements. You will have an opportunity to listen to a panel of in-house speakers on how they approach Article 101 in practice and gain insights on how UK competition law is developing post-Brexit.
Day 2: Article 102
Day 2 will focus on Article 102 and explore the difference between abuse and legitimate competition, introduce theories of harm and discuss practical issues in pricing, as well as how the European Commission is approaching its enforcement priorities. You will be invited to join an in-depth case study to help you analyse the practical issues.
Day 3: IP & Competition Law
Join our speakers from Bristows to examine the interface between IP and competition law including vertical agreements in the EU and UK, the Technology Transfer Block Exemption, the role of IP in Article 102 and currently developing issues surrounding digital markets and innovation. The day includes an interactive practical session analysing the application of the principles discussed throughout the day as well as plenty of opportunities for Q&A.
Day 4: Merger Control, FDI & State Aid
Delve into the law and practice of EU merger control including remedies and appeals. Our expert speakers will offer you a practical guide to merger proceedings based on their experience - including tips on how to structure a deal, pre-notification submissions, interim measures and how to handle multi-jurisdictional mergers. Then analyse the role of FDI regimes in mergers and how state aid and UK subsidy control are developing.
Day 5: Enforcement, Litigation & Compliance
You will be introduced to the increasingly important area of private enforcement including best strategies for litigation. The day focuses on practical concerns for competition lawyers including how best to navigate the competition processes and current competition law risks and compliance challenges for corporates.
Special Focus for 2022:
To ensure that you understand how competition law is developing and are able to address current challenges, we have special hot topic sessions on the agenda:
- UK Competition Law post-Brexit
- Sustainability & Competition Law
- Competition Law in Digital Markets
- Foreign Direct Investment
Why attend the EU Competition Law Summer School 2022:
Informative and practical:
- Gain a solid understanding of crucial competition law issues from a broad range of perspectives in a relaxed and informal atmosphere
- Review high profile cases and their practical implications
- Enhance your knowledge by embracing in-depth analysis and expert commentary on key EU competition law issues
- Develop cutting-edge strategies to combat common problem areas to avoid hefty fines
Who should attend:
- Junior lawyers seeking to gain a specialism in competition law
- In-house counsel requiring an impeccable grounding in the core areas of competition law
- Experienced lawyers who need to know more about competition law
- Regulators & national competition authorities
- Professionals in need of an A-Z guide to EU competition law
Make Lasting Connections:
- Make lasting business connections with our speakers and delegates
- Join our renowned speakers during the specially designed informal Q&As to quiz them on the issues which matter the most to you
- Consolidate your new contacts during extensive networking functions throughout the day and special evening events
Certification & Take Home Advice:
- Gain 29 CPD hours
- Certified on completion
- Take home practical advice and comprehensive event documentation for future reference
EU Competition Law Summer School in numbers
Top legal minds sharing their insights and expertise
Presentations on the most important areas of competition law
Years advancing international competition lawyers through an in-depth and immersive 5-day course
Monday 8 - Friday 12 August 2022
UNIQUE MULTI-FORMAT LEARNING AND NETWORKING EXPERIENCE
During the day, delegates will have an opportunity to learn in a variety of interactive formats – ensuring that each topic is fully understood and covered from multiple angles, with plenty of time for Q&As
Shearman & Sterling
Immersive competition experience, seasoned speakers and superb balance between economics and law, plus enthusiastic attendees from all over the world.