Carbon Neutral at Greenbuild
Running an Environmentally Friendly Event means...
We are constantly learning, developing and creating more ways to become a "planet-forward" trade show. Our main focuses are waste diversion, energy/carbon offsets, water, procurement/materials and travel.
GREENBUILD PURSUES CARBON NEUTRAL EVENT CERTIFICATION
Getting to carbon neutral means that we continue reducing our greenhouse gas emissions as much as possible, and compensate for the remaining carbon emissions our show emits (from travel, hotel stays, energy-use, waste, etc.) through the purchase of high-quality ICROA-approved carbon offsets.
At Greenbuild, we are committed to running events which are both environmentally sustainable and socially responsible. From the innovative ways we interact onsite to the radical changes in the way we build our exhibition - here is a breakdown of how we are embedding sustainability in everything we do.
CHAMPIONING SUSTAINABILITY AT GREENBUILD
What is a CarbonNeutral® Event Certification? A designation that demonstrates our event has achieved carbon neutrality in line with the CarbonNeutral Protocol. This certification is administered by Climate Impact Partners, and is a global standard managed for over 20 years to deliver clean, conclusive, and transparent carbon neutral programs.
Going carbon neutral means that we will continue to reduce as many greenhouse gas emissions as possible and compensate for the remaining carbon emissions our show emits (from travel, hotel stays, energy-use, waste, etc.) through the purchase of high-quality carbon offsets.
How do these standards play into the wider Greenbuild event? These standards provide event planners and suppliers with prescriptive actions for producing and delivering sustainable events. Suppliers are assessed on organizational management, air quality, community, climate action, water, energy, waste management and more.
Moving Faster to Zero
"It is with great excitement and pride that we introduce this latest element of our comprehensive sustainability program. Through various other initiatives, we have worked towards carbon neutrality for many years and this certification further solidifies our commitment to ensuring the environmental impacts of our trade shows are exponentially reduced and unavoidable emissions completely offset." - Lacey Gautier, Vice President, Events
This initiative is part of the FasterForward - Faster to Zero commitment to becoming completely carbon neutral as a business by 2025 by our parent company, Informa.
What our show is doing...
- Back of house waste sort during the show to maximize waste diverted from the landfill and ensure materials are sent to the correct stream.
- Clearly labeled 3-bin front of house systems (recycle, compost, landfill) placed throughout the PCC.
- Designated cardboard drop-off areas throughout the exhibit hall to maximize the cardboard effectively collected and recycled.
- Zero Waste boxes placed at all dishwashing stations to collect PPE that is not typically accepted in a single stream recycling stream. This includes gloves, hair nets, and masks.
- Collection of clings in zero waste pallets post show for recycling.
- Booth recycling and compost porter service for exhibitors through ESK.
- Eliminated foam core signage and prohibit styrofoam from the show. Staff meals are served on reusable service ware.
- Identified water refill stations throughout the convention center to allow for easy water bottle refill.
- We are aiming to eliminate single-use plastics in the coming years!